On November 23rd, Canada held its most recent full program Express Entry lottery.
This is the 11th lottery since the lottery for all programs resumed on July 6th.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited 4,750 candidates with a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score of 491 or higher. Skilled Trading Program (FSTP). All are programs that work on the Express Entry system.
In December 2020, the Express Entry lottery for all programs was suspended for over 18 months. The lottery has been suspended due to backlogs due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions. During this period, invitations to apply (ITAs) were issued only to applicants in the CEC or Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). However, in September 2021, IRCC also suspended the CEC draw.
The number of ITAs in this draw is the same as the two times last November 9th and October 26th. The CRS score continues to drop by 2-3 points every round.
On November 16, IRCC introduced NOC 2021, a revision of NOC 2016, the national occupational classification (NOC) system used to determine the occupation and skill level of Express Entry candidates.
The new system categorizes jobs based on associated training, education, experience and responsibilities (TEER). The new TEER system modified skill levels 0-E from NOC 2016 and created 5 equivalent TEERS.
NOC 2016 NOC 2021
Skill Type 0 Tier 0
Skill Level A Tier 1
Skill Level B Tier 2
Skill Level B Tier 3
Skill Level C Tier 4
Skill Level D Tier 5
With the introduction of the TEER system, 16 new jobs are now eligible for Express Entry and 3 jobs are not eligible. Ineligible occupations may still be acceptable under other economic immigration pathways, such as provincial nomination programs.
The introduction of the new occupations targets sectors where Canada currently suffers from skilled labor shortages, such as technical, medical and truck drivers.
Here are the 16 new eligible occupations.
- payroll manager
- Dental assistant and dental laboratory assistant
- Nurse aides, nurses and patient service staff
- Pharmacy Tech Assistant and Pharmacy Assistant
- Elementary and Secondary Teacher Assistant
- sheriff and bailiff
- Ordinance Enforcement and Other Regulators
- Estheticians, electrolyzers and related occupations
- Residential and commercial installers and service providers
- Pest Control and Fumigants
- Other repairers and servicers
- transport truck driver
- Bus drivers, subway drivers and other public transport drivers
- heavy equipment operator
- Aircraft Assembler and Aircraft Assembly Inspector
- Express Entry likely to change in 2023
- Through late 2022 and early 2023, applicants can expect the Express Entry lottery to continue as it is, with CRS scores being the primary determinant of ITA issuance.
However, from 2023, recently passed Bill C-19 means IRCC will have the authority to conduct grand prize draws. The criteria for receiving an ITA may vary from lottery to lottery, depending on Canada’s most pressing economic needs.