Ludhiana, Punjab – A tragic thing happened in Ludhiana’s Giaspura district where three children died and several got injured on Friday . The deaths were due to a gas leak that occurred in the area, causing fear and confusion to residents. A total of 11 people have been declared dead among which 6 were male and five were female.
As per sources, the gas leak occurred at a factory located near a residential area on Sua Road near Eastman Chowk. The gas has yet not been identified but it is likely that some chemical got exposed to methane. The gas spread quickly, and children playing in the area were among the first ones to be affected. The two children who lost their lives were identified as 7-year-old Manpreet and 6-year-old Rajveer.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team was contacted as soon as the news was known to rescue those affected. Several people, including women and children, were rushed to a nearby hospital and are currently receiving treatment. Eight people, including two men, four women along with two children, were declared brought dead to the hospital.
The incident left local residents in shock and anguish. Many of them blamed the authorities for allowing the factories to operate in residential areas, which led to tragic incidents. The police have filed a case against the factory management and are investigating the case. Meanwhile, Punjab Minister Charanjit Singh Channi offered condolences to the deceased family and announced Rs. 2 lakh each to next of the kin.
An investigation has been ordered into the case and relevant authorities have been directed to take harsh action against those found guilty. This incident has once again raised the question of safety of residents near the industrial complex.